The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons reports that about 70% of adults aged 35 to 45 years have at least one missing tooth caused by decay, gum disease, dental fractures, or trauma. Fortunately, modern prosthetic dentistry has made it so that when you have one or more missing teeth, you don’t have to go through life hiding your smile.
Understanding Dentures vs. Dental Implants
When it comes to dental solutions that can improve your smile and boost your confidence, the most common options are dental implants and dentures, but what’s the difference between the two? Today, the dental professionals at McCall Dentures will explore the two, which may help guide you in finding the right dental solution for your needs. Contact our office to schedule a consultation for dentures or dental implants in Indianapolis.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures are one of the oldest and most common replacements for missing teeth. Dentures are false teeth that come in two main types: full and partial. At McCall Dentures, we proudly offer a number of solutions ranging from immediate dentures to custom dentures, cast metal partial dentures, flexible dentures, and more. While they may not be an ideal solution for everyone, Dr. McCall will help you choose the right ones.
Dentures are designed to look and feel natural with an acrylic base that fits over your gums, although they take some getting used to. These replacements can be removed from the mouth and replaced at your leisure.
More About Dentures:
- Generally, dentures last for five-to-seven years and may need to be replaced over time.
- Dentures look and feel like your natural teeth.
- Secured to your gums with denture adhesive.
- Reduce facial sagging caused by tooth loss.
- Improve the function of your mouth when eating, drinking, and speaking.
- Dentures are a cost-effective solution for missing or failing teeth.
- A great solution for people with weak or unhealthy gums and/or jawlines.
- May feel awkward for the first few months.
- Can slip and move in the mouth when not secured properly.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a long-term solution for missing teeth that are surgically implanted into the jawbone and outfitted with custom crowns. These replacement teeth look, feel, and behave like natural teeth, thereby restoring dental function. Dental implants can replace one or several missing teeth for just about anyone. These tooth replacements are especially effective for people who have missing teeth, adequate jawbone, and healthy gums.
More About Dental Implants:
- When cared for properly, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Personalized dental implants look, feel, and behave like natural teeth.
- Implanted into the jaw, so they don’t slip or move when talking, eating, and drinking.
- They make eating, drinking, and speaking much more comfortable.
- Restores volume and shape to the face.
- Durable and can care for as you would your natural teeth.
- Can prevent bone loss.
- May prevent tooth decay and other dental infections.
- Stabilize adjoining teeth.
- Cost-effective solution for missing and failing teeth.
Customized Dental Solutions
During your consultation, Dr. McCall will help you find the right solution for your needs. Once we’re ready to get started, we will create your custom replacements right in our state-of-the-art in-house laboratory and can perform the implants in the comfort of our office.
Schedule a Consultation
Are you ready to find out which solution is the best replacement for your missing teeth? Contact McCall Dentures today and start your journey towards a healthier mouth, a beautiful smile, and restored confidence. Whether you need high-quality dentures or dental implants, our team is dedicated to helping you reach your oral health goals and smile you can be proud to share with the world. Call or click to schedule a complimentary consultation for dental implants in Indianapolis and get started today! If you’re not in Indianapolis, feel free to contact our Lebanon office.